top of page

Out-Of-State Child Custody

What to do when a parent has custody of the children pursuant to a Michigan order and the other parent runs off with them to another state if law enforcement in the other state tells the custodial parent to get a "pick up order" before they will enforce the Michigan custody order?

The Michigan custodial parent will need to file in the family court of the other state a version of these documents along with a certified copy of the Michigan custody order:

  1. Petition for Expedited Enforcement of Out-of-State Child Custody Determination (UCCJEA)

  2. Warrant to Take Physical Custody of Child (UCCJEA) (proposed)

  3. Order to Appear at Hearing on Petition to Enforce Out-of-State Child Custody Determination (UCCJEA) (proposed)

  4. Order After Hearing on Petition for Expedited Enforcement of Out-of-State Child Custody Determination (UCCJEA) (proposed)

For more information, please contact Sterling Law - 231-486-0559 /

The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Sterling Law or the individual author nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the reader’s licensing jurisdiction.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page