Child and Spousal Support Arrears - Part One

It’s tax time! Did you know your Federal Tax return can be intercepted if you owe more than $2,500 in support?

If the Friend of The Court Child Support Unit determines that you owe more than $2,500 in child or spousal support they will notify the U.S. Department of the Treasury for collection. Under Administrative Offset and /or Federal Tax Refund Offset law, your federal tax refund can be intercepted and applied towards your arrears. If you file “married filing jointly”, your spouse may be entitled to receive his or her portion of the joint federal tax refund provided he/she has no legal responsibility for the debt, has income and withholding and/or estimated tax payments and files Form 8379-Injured Spouse Claim and Allocation. For details see:,4676,7-238-43513_44135-168434--,00.html

The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Sterling Law or the individual author nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the reader’s licensing jurisdiction.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Copyright © 2006–2020

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Information on this site is not a substitute for the professional judgment of an attorney. No content on this website may be reproduced without written permission. All rights reserved.