Responsibilities of a Permanent Resident of the United States

It is very important for new residents of the United States to understand their responsibilities as a permanent resident. You must make sure to: Obey all federal, state, and local laws. Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times. File your federal, state, and local income taxes. If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26 years old, register with the Selective Service System ( Give the Department of Homeland Security your new address within ten days after you move ( Maintain your immigration status by maintaining your residence in the United States (i.e. don’t be absent for more t

Unequal rights for a married vs. an unmarried parent for police assistance to retrieve child

If the parents are married, the law automatically presumes that the husband is also the father of the child. As such, police agencies consider married parents to each have equal rights to their children. Police agencies will generally not get involved in disputes between married couples regarding which parent should have the child. A police officer will simply say that it is a “civil matter” and to seek a court order. If the parents are NOT married to each other, Michigan law allows a man to be legally recognized as the father of a child if both he and the child's mother sign and file with the State an "Affidavit of Parentage" (“AOP”) form. This form is legally binding and puts the world on

Does an expired green card mean I lost my legal status in the U.S.?

A conditional permanent resident receives a green card valid for two years. In order to remain a permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditions must be removed or you will lose your permanent resident status. However, if you have already removed the condition and have a card that was valid for ten years, then you are a permanent resident and the card is only proof of your legal status. But even though your permanent resident status doesn’t expire when your card does, problems do arise when you l

Does a U.S. citizen need to notify immigration of address change?

Many U.S. citizens do not realize that if they have “sponsored” a non-citizen to become a permanent resident of the United States (i.e. submitted a Form I-864 Affidavit of Support), then the U.S. citizen must notify USCIS of their new address each time they move. If the adjustment of status case is still pending, the U.S. citizen can make a change of address on pending cases via the USCIS Online Change of Address page or by calling 1-800-375-5283. If there is no pending case with USCIS, the U.S citizen must complete Form I-865 within thirty days of moving. Contact Sterling Law if you need assistance changing your address with USCIS. 231-486-0559

Child and Spousal Support Arrears - Part Two

What else can happen if you have support arrearages? If you owe more than $2,500 in support, the amount of your past-due support will be reported to consumer reporting (i.e. credit) agencies. If you owe more than $2,500 in support, the Secretary of State will refuse to issue a passport to you and may revoke, restrict, or limit a passport that was previously issued. If your arrearages are greater than or equal to more than two months of support and an order of income withholding is not applicable or has been unsuccessful in assuring regular payments on the support obligation and regular payments on the arrearage, then your occupational license, driver's license, or recreational or sporting li

Child and Spousal Support Arrears - Part One

It’s tax time! Did you know your Federal Tax return can be intercepted if you owe more than $2,500 in support? If the Friend of The Court Child Support Unit determines that you owe more than $2,500 in child or spousal support they will notify the U.S. Department of the Treasury for collection. Under Administrative Offset and /or Federal Tax Refund Offset law, your federal tax refund can be intercepted and applied towards your arrears. If you file “married filing jointly”, your spouse may be entitled to receive his or her portion of the joint federal tax refund provided he/she has no legal responsibility for the debt, has income and withholding and/or estimated tax payments and files Form 83

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Copyright © 2006–2020

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Information on this site is not a substitute for the professional judgment of an attorney. No content on this website may be reproduced without written permission. All rights reserved.